The amount of protein required by age is how much love and how much protein each day should be suitable for men and women, for those who exercise or those who rarely exercise.
It can be said that protein is one of the essential parts of the nutrients we focus on daily intake and learning about it is a necessity to make sure you get enough protein. usually not missing.
What is protein? Protein (also called protein) is an organic compound that synthesizes amino acid chains to build muscle cells.
Protein provides about 15% of the energy for the body to maintain life. Protein helps muscle growth. Without protein, you won’t have a life!
It is often found in meats, fish, eggs, and milk. If you want to gain fat effectively, you’ll need to get enough protein. Now BellyFatZone invite you to refer to this article together!
What is protein? Basic knowledge about protein
Now you have a rough idea. Before going into more detail below, you need to clarify the story that in order to understand a problem, we need to go into detail.
Therefore, you will find this post quite long. Everything will be presented in full to help you understand what protein is.
View more: Best protein powder for muscle gain
What is the concept of protein?
We will take some time to go deeper. As you understand, protein is a combination of amino acids. There are 23 different types of amino acids needed to help the body function.
As a rule, different amino acids synthesize to produce different proteins.
For bodybuilders, we only need to care:
- Essential amino acids: There are about 9 essential amino acids that the body cannot synthesize and must be loaded with food. Without it, the body will not function properly. Often we will supplement with protein-rich foods. In particular, the gym will be interested in the three most important amino acids, leucine, isoleucine and valine. All 3 will form BCAA.
- Unnecessary amino acids: There are 14 types and the body can synthesize or eat itself.
So do you need to add both?
Of course, no matter what type it is, it is necessary to supplement the body to get the best function. All have duties. You need to eat variety. When the food is varied, you will supplement the variety.
Protein plays an important role in all biological processes. That is why it is always preferred.
- The main function of a protein is to build muscle tissue.
- They can be structural, like collagen. They can be hormones, like insulin. They can be carriers, like hemoglobin. They can be enzymes, like amylase.
- Keratin is a structural protein that enhances the function of protective coatings. Skin and hair. Collagen and elastin also support each other!
View more: High Protein Diet Plan For Muscle Gain
Protein is complete and incomplete
1. What is a complete protein?
A complete protein (also known as high-quality protein, perfect protein, complete protein) is a protein that contains all 9 essential amino acids that the body cannot produce itself. This type is mainly of animal origin (meat, fish, eggs, milk …)
2. What is an incomplete protein?
Incomplete proteins (also called low-quality proteins, incomplete, imperfect proteins) are proteins that do not contain all the essential amino acids. This type is mainly of plant origin.
However, some plants also contain complete proteins such as Quinoa, rye seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, spirulina … If you are a vegetarian, you should pay attention to foods rich in vegetable protein. This is to meet the complete protein for the body.
Protein function for the body
What are the effects of protein for health? Protein is an important nutrient that helps you nourish, build and repair muscle cells.
Proteins are made up of chains of amino acids and are responsible for muscle movement. The human body is made up of 100 trillion cells. Each cell has thousands of different protein molecules and is responsible for creating cells.
Certainly, everyone knows that without protein, we will die. This also tells us why we have to get enough protein. Here are the functions of the protein:
- The main function of a protein is to build muscle tissue.
They can be structural, like collagen. They can be hormones, like insulin. They can be carriers, like hemoglobin. They can be enzymes, like amylase.
- Keratin is a structural protein that enhances the function of skin and hair protective coatings. Collagen and elastin also support each other!
- Increase muscle to support the body
- Participate in active cell processes
- Energy storage
- Acting as a transporter
- Balance physiological activities
- Feel the environmental stimulation
Those are the functions that protein provides. The important thing here is to make sure you eat every day. Whether it is needed or not.
How much protein do you need each day?
Protein is like water. You need to constantly replenish each day. This will help you avoid muscle loss and impaired function.
The role of such an important protein, how much to supplement is enough? Is it as much as possible?
Of course, just enough, no admit, no shortage is the best. Excess protein also causes a lot of harm, which we will learn more about later.
The amount of protein that each person needs is not the same. You will need 1.1 – 3.3g of protein/kg of body weight. The more you exercise, the higher this index is.
For example, if you weigh 50kg, have exercise, then the amount of protein to load will be 50 × 2 = 100g / day.
You need to calculate the amount of protein to load in a day will help you better understand the formula, as well as provide an automatic calculation tool.
What are the signs of protein deficiency?
As you know, often without our bodies we will report. That is the point you need to pay attention.
- Muscles do not grow, either grow slowly or even atrophy.
- Tired, exhausted limbs.
- Weak immunity.
- Muscle weakness, edema, no weight gain …
When you see one of these signs, you need to quickly take protein by drinking it. I usually drink protein milk.
Harm of protein
Is excess protein harmful? This is still a controversial issue.
It has been previously suggested that eating a lot of protein may pose a number of health risks such as:
- Increase fat
- Harm to the kidneys
- Affects bone
However, recent studies show that there is no clear basis to confirm these 3 harmful effects. But even so, does not mean you should eat as much as possible.
Many people who work out at the gym are abusing protein with the desire to gain muscle fast.
They will have to face a number of conspicuous consequences such as pimples, heat in the body, affecting digestion, the body is dehydrated by the kidneys have to work hard to handle the nitrogen produced when metabolizing protein.
In addition, if you focus on protein, you will also overlook many other groups of substances necessary for the normal functioning of the body, such as starches, fats or vitamins, causing nutritional imbalance.
And it costs money.
Protein and workouts
Do people who exercise or need more protein than normal people?
Yes, of course.
Protein needs will be higher if you are more active. Whether you’re a runner or weight lifter, you’ll need more protein to repair and repair muscle.
Studies show that people who exercise at high intensity need twice as much protein as normal people.
If you are involved in weight training and sports, you can still use the tools provided above to calculate the amount of protein needed.
Protein Needs By Age
At each age, do protein requirements change? Which age needs a lot and which age needs a little?
According to experts, standard protein levels at each age range as follows:
- Under 18 years old: 1.2-1.6g / kg of body weight
- From 19-40 years: 1.6-2.2g / kg of weight
- From 41-65 years: 2.2-2.6g / kg weight
- Over 65 years: 2.6-3g / kg weight
Thus, this means that the more protein people need, the older they get.
As we age, our ability to absorb protein in our diet becomes weaker, leading to a decrease in muscle strength, loss of lean muscle mass, and therefore a need for more supplements.
However, the above figures are only general estimates and may not be true for each person. You calculated by the tool is still the most accurate.
Protein and gender
Men often consume more protein than women, because often their weight is larger.
If a man and a woman have the same weight, the same amount of activity, the amount of protein the body requires is the same.
The benefits of protein for women are also worth mentioning. It helps to strengthen the resistance, beautify the skin and hair. In addition, a high protein diet can help you reduce body fat even though you eat more calories.
Correlation between protein and calories
Protein provides calories quite similar to carbs.
On average, if you eat about 0.8g / kg of body weight per day, this is enough protein to provide 10% of calories.
So you need to increase it a little bit more to balance. Because the amount of fat and starch will be quite a lot. According to research, you need about 40% protein.
Eating more will help you lose weight better. The reason is that you will be less affected by starch. High protein intake will help increase muscle, less fat, less energy.
In addition, when you eat protein, you are burning fat because the body needs energy from fat to digest. Note, to lose weight, you also need fiber, so you need to eat more high-fiber foods.
Should we eat animal or plant protein?
Almost all contain protein. So should we eat plants or animals?
The rule is we need diversity. We are not dependent. Everything is complementary and you should diversify it!
- Animal protein: This is a complete protein and provides the body with 9 essential amino acids. You need to eat it through eggs, meat … It accounts for 75%!
- Vegetable protein: This is an incomplete protein and provides only non-essential amino acids. But it helps lower bad cholesterol, lowering high blood pressure to help you have a healthy cardiovascular system.
Do you have the answer?
You can not lack any amino acids, then how to give up. You should not give up because there is no kind that is not good. You also need diversity. Sometimes eat meat, sometimes eat fish, sometimes eat vegetables … Everything will help you balance.
What is quality protein?
Protein is of high quality if it has a high BV (Biological Value).
Formula for calculating BV = (Retained / Absorbed amount) * 100
Every food will be different. However, it is important that you load it. That sometimes does not need to care too, just focus on eating is enough. But sometimes busy, where to sit that counts.
Here are the BV of some foods:
- Eggs: 100
- Egg whites: 88
- Cow’s milk: 91
- Fish: 70
- Pork: 69
- Chicken: 79
- Beans: 34-47
- Brown rice: 57
- White rice: 57
- Corn: 36
- Seafood: 62-70
Limiting the amount of protein absorbed at each meal
There is a popular belief that the human body can only absorb about 25 grams of protein after each meal. This science has not proved and simply understood can also be understood as follows.
Our bodies will be different. There are healthy people, weak people … Therefore, the ability to absorb is also different. You can absorb fast, I can absorb slowly. Therefore, it would be completely incorrect to say that.
In addition, no matter how much you eat, your ability to absorb only 1 portion. That’s why you need whey to absorb it quickly.
Here are some eating patterns to help you make sure your body doesn’t have an excess or protein deficiency.
Here, you will eat a small amount for breakfast, 1 for lunch and 1 for dinner.
- 10 grams of protein for breakfast, for example, you can eat chicken breast.
- 25 grams for lunch, for example, you can eat brown rice, fish.
- 5 grams for a snack, you can eat almonds.
- 40gram for dinner, you can eat meat, fish, eggs …
- 1 day, 80g.
Many people choose this model. You will divide the meal evenly!
- 20 grams of protein for breakfast, for example, fried egg with minced meat.
- 15grams for breakfast.
- 25grams for lunch.
- 15gram for the afternoon meal.
- 10gram for dinner.
- 1 day, 80g.
The two models are still not very complete, for 1 person to lift weights. The key is to always keep the body having enough protein. So how? Eat and drink.
Just keep on loading protein. Balance it out. The main meals will charge more but pay attention to snacks. No matter how much you eat, you eat less. The body has no way of identifying time with protein.
Also, you should pay attention, do not keep eating protein all day long. Because if so, the body will be in surplus. However, this is quite rare.
In addition to eating, you should use Whey milk. These are very good types of milk, helping you to get protein.
What is the importance of protein to muscles?
Why do bodybuilders have to eat protein at all costs? People just keep the rough idea that eating a lot of protein will have muscle. But why?
The process of muscle protein synthesis
To understand the relationship between protein and muscle, you should first understand the concept of muscle protein synthesis.
- In science, it’s the process by which cells build protein molecules using DNA, RNA and enzymes.
- In fact, it’s the process by which your body uses amino acids contained in proteins to build new muscle.
During the course of the day, your body waits between two processes:
- Building (aka protein synthesis, or “assimilation”)
- Breaking (also known as “catabolism”)
When you exercise, is the catabolism going on, you work on the muscles and break them down.
But after you’re done exercising, your body almost immediately goes into an anabolic state and begins to recover from the previous damage.
The body will use the stored protein and newly loaded protein to complete the task. This is also the most important moment for you to supplement protein, recover, repair, and build muscle.
- So does protein help increase muscle mass?
- What does the above analysis say?
Not that you just load a lot of protein and sit there waiting for the muscle to expand like an athlete. You need to practice, preferably at the gym, or maybe other sports.
In addition, your diet is not just protein is enough, but need to balance between all the substance groups. At that time, new muscle development to the optimal level.
Such proteins can increase the body does not? Yes, but it is only a necessary condition, not a sufficient condition. That means without protein, it’s not increasing muscle, but protein alone is not enough.
Want beautiful body, good shape, you must lift up to practice.
Protein benefits for weight loss
Protein is the golden key to a healthy body. When reading about the secret to losing weight, you will be advised to add protein. So how does protein, or protein, help you lose weight?
Does protein help with weight loss?
In short, yes, but you still have to practice.
Eating more protein will help you feel fuller, limit your appetite, and easily control your calorie intake. This effect is most evident when you eat a lot of protein at breakfast.
Proteins have a higher thermal effect than carbohydrates and fats. This means you have to burn more energy to digest, absorb and distribute nutrients from protein than from carbs and fats.
But of course, we return to the exercise story. Must exercise, exercise to consume calories to lose weight, not just sitting there eating a lot of protein is finished.
Benefits of a high-protein diet
Diets rich in protein combined with exercise is one of the most popular weight loss methods today.
There are many different menus that you can refer to. However, according to nutritionist Krissy Kendall, if you’re aiming to lose weight, protein needs to account for at least 30% of your total calorie intake.
This method helps you to reduce body fat, while lean muscle mass remains or increases.
Most protein-rich foods contain very little fat and carbs. Chicken breasts have 2-3g fat per serving, with cheese being 1-2g. Egg whites are almost fat-free, and fish contain only healthy Omega-3 fatty acids.
Dieting with high-protein foods not only helps build lean muscle but also reduces cravings and speeds up calories burning.
You can refer to the menu to increase muscle fat to know how to build a more reasonable diet.
Common sources of protein
What sources of protein can be supplemented, and which ones are best for you?
1. Protein in natural foods
This is still the most basic and important source that you should not ignore, even with additional food.
- Animal protein is often found in meat, fish and milk. You can add to your daily menu such as steaks, chicken breasts, tuna, eggs, cheese, yogurt, etc.
- Vegetable protein can be loaded through vegetables, cereals … Animal protein is a type of incomplete protein, you should combine with animal protein to get the best results.
2. Types of protein powder
Protein powders are a convenient, quick, and convenient way to add protein in the form of powder into milk. There are many types of protein powders with different production methods and advantages and disadvantages.
- Whey protein: The most common type, made from milk, adds a large amount of pure protein and quickly absorbed into the body. Read the article on whey protein to learn more about its effects, the types of whey available, and how to use it effectively.
- Casein protein: Also made from milk. This type has a slow absorption rate, long-lasting muscle so often used at night when you sleep.
- Egg protein: Derived from chicken eggs, used for people with milk allergies. The rate of digestion of this type is moderate, slower than whey but faster than casein.
- Plant-based protein: Protein powder of vegetable origin (beans, hemp, brown rice, mixed plants …), suitable for vegetarians.
- There are also some other protein powders for you to choose from.
3. Protein bars (protein bar)
Protein bars, also known as protein bars, are also a protein supplement that you can choose if you don’t like protein powders.
Protein bars help supplement quality protein without adding too many calories, carbohydrates and fat causing weight gain.
What kind of protein cake is good?
You should choose those with a relative or high protein-carb ratio. The lower the ratio, the more carbs are present than protein. Then it will be no different from a snack that causes overweight.
4. Should you take protein supplements?
Nowadays, protein powder or protein bar is increasingly used. Why do so many people choose to drink whey instead of natural foods?
- Cost: To meet the minimum amount of protein every day, you need to load up a lot of food, which is meat, fish, eggs, milk … and of course comes with a lot of costs. Meanwhile, much affordable whey also provides you with protein but at a cheaper price per dose.
- Purity: When it is imperative to eat a lot of food to get enough protein, you also accidentally increase the amount of fat, starch and other unnecessary substances.
- Convenience: Select food, measure protein, process it, and bring it with you. Why not replace a convenient bottle of whey milk that only takes a few minutes to make?
In the past, whey protein was just a product for weight lifters. But today, almost everyone can use, from youth to the elderly.
Basically it is just like you eat meat, eat fish. You don’t want to eat, you drink, that’s as simple as that.
Protein powder problems
Protein powder is one of the three most popular forms of protein supplement available today. Protein powders are increasingly being used because of their convenience and nutritional value.
In particular, if you are a gym, then too familiar with this product. Let’s take a section to learn about it.
1. Is protein powder good?
This is a complicated question.
If your regular diet only provides protein levels below the standard, then taking more protein powder will bring positive effects for health and fitness as well. Again, getting enough protein each day is not a simple matter.
Of course, among the numerous products on the market, there will be good, some not good.
A low-quality product is a product with low protein content, added sugar, buffers, and additives. You should choose items from reputable brands, with many years of experience, tested by reliable sources.
2. Can children use protein powder?
Young children need a lot of protein to grow, but they don’t necessarily need to add whey or protein powder. Why?
Remember how much protein each person needs depends on their weight? But the weight of children is usually much lighter than adults. Normally, protein in natural foods is enough.
However, if you normally use protein milk and want to give it to your baby, then it does not matter, as long as a moderate dose, combined with a balanced nutrition diet.
Whey milk is a good alternative to sugary confectionery for children.
For infants, you should not use, because they are not absorbed yet.
3. Can pregnant and lactating women use protein powder?
Many studies suggest that supplementing with protein powder during pregnancy is relatively safe and helps to improve the development, increase the weight and height of the fetus, reducing the number of low birth weight.
After birth, the mother also needs a minimum of 71g of protein a day to ensure the source of milk for breastfeeding. If you start exercising to get in shape after giving birth, protein is also essential to bring the firmness and slimness of the mothers.
However, the use of protein powders, supplements during pregnancy or lactation needs to be consulted by a doctor.
4. Can milk allergies use protein powder?
Milk allergy is the phenomenon of the body is lactose intolerance, causing abdominal pain when drinking milk or milk products. Not everyone experiences this condition.
So what if you belong to this “unfortunate” target group? Due to being made from milk, most whey and casein products contain lactose. Today, manufacturers are increasingly improving technology.
They remove all or 1 part of lactose in whey powder or add enzymes that disable lactose to help users not suffering from abdominal pain.
Another safe option for you is to use protein powder from eggs, beef, or from plants, as long as not from milk.
And if you do not have a lactose allergy, drinking fresh milk normally is just indifferent, using any kind.
5. How to make protein powder?
Proteins are often harder to dissolve than regular milk powders, so if stirred with a spoon, it will take quite a while, the dough will become lumpy. Therefore people often mix the protein powder in 2 ways:
- Use a shaker: The jar has a spring-loaded pendulum that helps to beat the powder evenly. You just need to add water and flour into the jar, shake is done.
- Using a blender: The blender will be used when you want to blend protein into vitamins, together with fruits and vegetables.
- If you don’t like to use plain water, you can replace it with milk.
The Science Behind My High Protein Diet (How Much Per Day For Muscle Growth & Fat Loss)
So the article above helped you understand what protein is and the issues surrounding it. This is a group of substances necessary for the operation and development of the body, please supplement it in the most scientific and effective way.
Listen to this article:
Hopefully, the information above has helped you to gain some more knowledge about “protein needs by age”, and bring some small value to you. Please share this article if you feel it useful. Thanks!
If you have useful additional information to help people, please comment below.